This is a project page in Xtrant. It’s pretty simple.It has five parts, Overview, People, Milestones, Shared Assets and Running Notes. We’re going to talk about how each of them work right here, and show you how we built the project page you see in the sample above.
The overview is where you put the basic information about the project. When you first create a project your are prompted to fill it out the following information:
- Project Number (generated by Xtrant)
- Project Name
- Short Description
- Due Date (optional)
- Company or Group Name (optional, great for associating a project with a particular client or organization)
- Reference Code (also optional, in case you have another tracking or numbering system you’d like to cross reference to)
- Project Specifications (again optional.)
Notice that the overview edit screen is where you can remove a project (see the link to the right of the save button?)
back to top
The people section is the list of individuals who have access to your project, if they aren’t on this list, they can’t see or collaborate on this project – the graphic below shows the steps in adding a new person to an Xtrant project.
- Type their name and click “Add a new contact”
- Type in their email address
- Select their permission level (Contributors can post and comment, Participants can only comment, Viewers can only look.)
- Choose if they can also add people to the project, and if they can see “Classified Content” (i.e. posed assets marked classified.)
You will be auto-prompted to add people when you create a new project, or you can always click the PLUS next to the People label to add a new person anytime.
- Date (optional)
- Task/Milestone Name
- Description (optional)
- Status (Pending, In Process or Done)
To add a new milestone click the PLUS (+) next to the milestone label.
back to top
Shared Assets are posts and uploads that are important to your project. These can be anything from digital files to web URLs/links to editable text documents and code snippets. Only those you designate contributor may post in Shared Assets but both contributors and participants can comment on those posts.
In Shared Assets you can…
- Drag and Drop Files to upload directly from your desktop.
- Create a Document in Xtrant. XtrantDocs are simple text documents, and can be formatted, edited and printed directly within the app.
- Post Code Snippets with line numbering and color coding for development teams.
- Post URLs, Videos (Vimeo / YouTube) and Sound Cloud links. URLs show a screenshot preview, Video and SoundCloud files automatically embed in our viewer.
- Upload Almost any File from PDF to DOC to CAD files and popular image formats (plus quite a few obscure file types.) PDF, DOC, and XLS and even SWF files will show as an icon and can be previewed with our Google Docs integration.
- Create GROUPS of assets….
When you upload an asset you will be shown an icon/thumbnail, the file name, and fields to name and describe the asset.
You can also make the asset “Classified” before you publish it (limiting access to only those on the project you’ve allowed to see classified content.)
To make an asset group just add more items – in the sample below we’ve added a URL and an Xtrant Document to make our group.
Notice that the Xtrant Doc is marked as a “Living Document”. This will allow any contributor on the project to edit it.
Xtrant Docs look like this when you initially make them:
Once you’ve published your group it will look like this – only images, URLs and Videos will show as thumbnails. All other docs will simply show a colored icon with the doc type.
Running notes appear on the right side of your project page and serve as a contextual running record of comments or conversations pertaining to the work at hand. Any project participant or contributor can add or comment on running notes.
All running notes become part of that project’s history and can be referred to without searching through old emails or other records.
Running notes are an efficient way to:
- Start a Conversation, with the comments below it continuing the discussion.
- Start a Brainstorm List, with each comment serving as a new idea or list item on that topic.
- Notify Your Team of important appointments and changes.
I hope this helps, and for even more information on using Xtrant please visit our support site.